Saturday, February 4, 2012

Versatility in Our Projects

I think it's safe to say that I get in my own way a lot when it comes to my crafting.  I sometimes worry about how others will see my work, and if it's good enough.  I should be rejoicing in the fact that no matter what I create, it's perfect, because there's no right or wrong way to craft.  That's one thing I love about scrapbooking and cardmaking.  Everyone has their own style, their own taste, and their own favorite look.  And all of them are right!

Another thing I battle as a crafter is pigeon-holing myself into specific themes, patterns, or looks.  Jeanette Lynton, the head crafter (if you will) at CTMH, addressed this on her blog recently; see this post.  She points out that although the Cruisin' paper pack...


...in the new Idea Book is quite obviously geared toward travel or vacation themes, there are also tons of other things you can use it for!  Go check out her post and be amazed.

Another example of this sort of versatile thinking is shown in the following video.



Sure, I'll admit it, when I saw the dinosaur stamp set, it screamed "BOY!"  But just as I wouldn't keep my son from playing with a doll if he wanted to, this set doesn't have to be decidedly masculine!  And the sentiments in the stamp set are definitely gender-neutral.

These ideas gave me a lot of food for thought about the way I sometimes get stuck in boxes based on colors, shapes, or words that I run across.  Now I have something to work on that will pay off in the form of better art!  What do you need to work on improving when it comes to your crafting?

0 comments:

Post a Comment