Friday, March 23, 2012

Sympathy in a Pinch

Earlier this week, a coworker's elderly father passed away.  Thinking of what I would most appreciate in such a situation, I volunteered to make a card (rather than buy one) for all of us in the office to sign and give to him.  Later that night, I plopped down in my craft room and started digging through my stamps.  That's when I realized that I have NO sentiments for a sympathy card!  I was shocked.  I could've sworn I had this set, but apparently not.  Needless to say, it's going on my next order.

So, what does a crafty desperate girl do in a pinch?  She improvises!  I knew that I wanted to use the Cruisin' paper packet (despite its whimsical name) because it's somewhat masculine.  Here's what I ended up with; what do you think?


I made the 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" card out of the black cardstock in that packet.  Then I cut the pretty patterned paper slightly smaller and attached that to the front.  Next, I used my Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge to cut out both layers of the center shape; the full sized one in black and the frame one in Grey Wool.  I created the flower and leaves with my Rosy Regards set.  (Pick that one up if you don't have it already!  It's very versatile!)  I normally only use two leaves on each side, but it just didn't look right, so I added a third.

Finally, I stamped the sentiment that comes with this set in Cranberry ink, made a black backpiece for it, and glued that to the lower right corner.  I lined the inside with more Grey Wool cardstock from the Cruisin' paper pack and stamped "Sending Warm Wishes" from this set there.  Voila, sympathy in a pinch!  Not perfect, but good enough.

Tell me about a time you had to improvise!

0 comments:

Post a Comment